Script Editor future (was Re: Open Source Kickstarter Report Card)

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Fri Aug 21 09:47:15 EDT 2015

Ali Lloyd wrote:

> I don't think that the current script editor should be neglected

I think that depends on when 7 will be EOLed. If you plan to have 8 stable by the end of the year and you plan to have a new Script editor there, wasting resources might be indeed a waste.

Mike Kerner wrote:

> that I often wonder if instead of working on one, effort should instead be spent on a BBEdit/TextWrangler plugin or some method for leveraging someone else's text editor.

+1, just eclipse… ;-). Still the IDE will have to come with a script editor that works out of the box.

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> If we can't build a good text editor in LiveCode, what are any of us
> doing here?

Well, for me it is not so much about the text editor. It wouldn’t be the first textEditor I would be scripting. My problem would be the friggin debugger…
On the other hand, there is a very powerful script editor out in the wild, namely glx which I believe Mark Wieder is maintaining. It has its glitches, but is not too bad. I just recall that it had a problem hiliting the script at the place it errored when it errored. That had me give up on that one. (picky, I know) Besides that, I think glx is as far as one can go with a scripted editor. :-)

Best,

Malte