Autosave

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:21:14 EDT 2015

store the current filename of the stack.
set the filename of the stack to whatever backup name you want
save the stack.
set the filename of the stack back to how it started

Also, from your example, using " / " as part of the filename would probably
be a bad idea since / is a directory separator. If you already have
directories set up, then it would be fine, but since you're using the live
time and date to do this, its unlikely thats what you were going for.
Change it to "_" maybe.

Just a quick and dirty example, but..

on mouseUp
   set the defaultfolder to specialfolderpath("desktop") --just so I can
mess around

   palette this stack
   wait 0 with messages -- to make sure the palette is complete before
moving on

   put the short name of the topStack into TSTAK
   put TSTAK & "_"& the time & "_" & the date into TSTAKN

   replace "/" with empty in TSTAKN -- remove slashes

   replace space with empty in TSTAKN-- the time has a space in it (for AM
PM)
   put TSTAKN into fld "TSTAKN"

-- make sure its been saved before and if so..
   if the filename of the topstack is not empty then
      put the filename of the topstack into tOldFilename -- store the main
filename

      set the filename of the topstack to TSTAKN -- set the temporary
filename
      save stack (the short name of the topstack) -- save the stack
      put the result -- Just so I could see any errors
      set the filename of the topstack to tOldFilename -- revert to the
main filename
   else
-- if it wasn't saved already..
-- set the filename
      set the filename of the topstack to (the short name of the topstack &
".livecode")

-- warn the user that the file will be saved
      answer information "Performing first stack save"

-- save the file
      save the topstack-- as (the short name of the topstack & ".livecode")

   end if
end mouseUp

Obviously, you'll end up with a cleaner script that catches potential
problems, but it seems to work fine.

If you really want the slashes and spaces in there, I _THINK_ you might be
able to pass in a full quoted string.. The spaces are relatively common and
could be worked around, but I'd be avoiding the slashes.