What is this - is anyone making money?

Randy Hengst iowahengst at mac.com
Thu Aug 20 10:14:18 EDT 2015

I am not a programmer in the vein of Todd, Richard, Simon or many others on this list… I’m a “scripter.”

I like LiveCode because I can easily create the simple things I do and develop them quickly. My target audience is elementary schools and children (so, ages 5-12). I’m a prof in a small liberal arts school (in the US, Rock Island, Illinois) where I work with elementary education majors. Our majors use the apps in their field experiences with elementary students and make suggestions for apps that I create or the make suggestions to modify the existing apps I’ve already written.. It’s cool when they can make a suggestion and I can get a version out to them within a week or two for them try with “real” students. That way our majors are developing a true sense of what makes a “good” app and begin getting a sense of how apps are made.

I’ve been making “apps” since HyperCard and moved to HyperStudio for manny years because of its scripting and cross-platform capabilities. Now I only develop in LiveCode and have 33 apps on the iOS app store. All are “utilitarian” in nature… none will win a design award… much of the art is made within LiveCode. The coolest art I have is my logo (thanks to the talents of Scott Rossi).

Given the focus of my app development I don’t have to worry about making money… I do need some income to defray expenses since we are not receiving any form of grant money for this project. I’ve had over 1.5 million app downloads… only 3% are paid apps… schools, as you can image, like “free.” I have no doubt that if my apps were all paid (99¢) that I would have far fewer downloads… maybe a total of 100,000.

One thing I really like about the list (and the forums) is listening to the folks who talk so far over my head that I can get a sense of what is possible even when I don’t understand how to get there.

be well,
randy

Randy Hengst
www.classroomFocusedSoftware.com