What is this - is anyone making money?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 19 17:54:16 EDT 2015

Pyyhtiä Christer wrote:

 > As many of us I have paid for the licenses, put money out for free
 > development expecting some wanted features, continued for Indie
 > advancement payments (hope to live beyond the licenses expire),
 > I have to ask my colleague developers, are you making any money with
 > the apps you develop (with LC)?  Or is it just fun?

Buying a saw, a hammer, some nails, and some wood won't provide you a home.

A home is more than raw materials and tools.  It requires experienced
skill.  And not just one, but a combination of many different skills,
from architecture to construction to decorating and more.

A business is the same. There's more to it than just writing a check.
Much more.

Every project I've worked on for many years has provided strong positive
ROI for the owner.  Some of these are profitable products, others
cost-saving internal tools.  All of them involve groups of people
experienced in their parts of it working together toward a set of goals
identified and prioritized according to the value they deliver to the
organization.

It's not easy, but neither is playing piano, or managing archaeology
surveys, or teaching high school English, or anything else people do
professionally.

To be good at anything is a function of time spent practicing.  Malcolm
Gladwell estimates that the time needed to truly master just about
anything is roughly 10,000 hours.  So at 5,000 hours one can expect to
at least be very good, and at 1,000 hours far better off than not having
spent the time studying the task at all.

If you want to succeed in business study it, practice it, and over time
any reasonably smart person can become at least pretty good at it.

One great thing about LiveCode is that it's so good at ad hoc solutions
that there are so many ways it can contribute to a startup, in addition
to being the foundation for the startup's product.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems