[OT] Copyrighting games?

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:29:02 EDT 2015

On 19/08/15 20:47, Rick Harrison wrote:
> Hi Richmond & Roger,
>
> You are referring to some kind of DRM (Digital Rights Management).  While
> in theory it sounds great, very often products that do this are boycotted
> by users who find out about it, and it can ruin one's product sales.

No, I'm not.

I have designed a tiling game something a bit like this:
http://picklebums.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/hexi-card-pattern.jpg

although, frankly, it is a bit more complex.

I would like, initially to market it in the form of either plastic or
card tiles in a box.

Later on I might make a LiveCode game with it, using a commercial
version of LiveCode.

In the latter case I would want to make sure that another company would
be discouraged from
making a clone of the game - i.e. ripping off the idea rather than
stealing the code.

> Years ago I had a shareware game that I asked people to register for
> when trying out the game so that when it came time for them to actually
> purchase the product if they liked it, it would make the process easy and
> painless.  It also provided me with information on how many people downloaded
> the product and used it.  It seemed like a great idea at the time.  All I got
> were complaints about how I was invading their privacy by asking them to
> register to use my free to try game.  Over 600 people downloaded the game
> and played it.  Only 1 of them was honest enough to actually pay me $5.00
> for what he described as an absolutely fantastic game which was way ahead
> of it’s time.
>
> You will probably want to produce some prototype physical games on your
> own if possible.  You could consider 3-D printing some of your plastic parts etc.
> Find a manufacturer who can ramp up your production if you need it.  Just get
> the costs figured out for this first, so you’ll know what you are up against.

I have made contact with a plastics factory here in Bulgaria. Their
lawyer suggested to me that
I should get some sort of legal protection even before I show them my
prototype pieces.

> Patenting is not an inexpensive process.  Once you have a successful patent
> you will have to be prepared to defend it with lots of cash for lawyers fees.
> This is why many products are released with “Patent Pending” on them which
> means a patent application has been filed but not yet granted so the product
> was able to be rushed to market before any copycats got into the act.
>
> Copyright is easiest and you should see how well your electronic software
> sales go first before attempting to sell a physical board game version as
> that will be way more expensive to manage and produce.

I am not really interested in patenting, as I am sure that unless the
game in a howling success it is
unlikely that anybody is going to rip it off - I would like, for the
sake of argument, to sell a few hundred
copies . . .

> Good luck with your product!

Thanks.