Open Source Kickstarter Report Card (Updated)

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Tue Aug 18 02:19:34 EDT 2015

>     "If your app includes FOSS, it must not cause any
> non-FOSS Microsoft
>      software to become subject to the terms of any FOSS license."
>     Although Microsoft didn't name it, it's talking about GPL.
>
> But is it?  GPL v2 and v3 are both on the OSI list of "approved"
> licenses (whatever that means; OSI is a much younger org than
> FSF, and while I appreciate their work and tend toward their
> politics more than the FSF's, naming their list "Approved"
> complicates things unnecessarily, and IMNSHO smacks of simple
> granstanding).

I think the writer is a bit off here, and maybe Microsoft is reiterating
something that should be obvious, but for some may not be.

My read on this is that "you can use any of these licenses", but regardless,
you understand that your license cannot effectively create an unauthorized
sublicense of a non FOSS "whatever" as a FOSS "whatever".

For example, you cannot use my closed source component in your FOSS project
and therefore sublicense and release my closed source component as FOSS.

Or am I misreading this?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Valentina Server: The Ultra-fast, Royalty Free Business Reports & Database
Server