Open Source Kickstarter Report Card (Updated)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 18 01:20:22 EDT 2015

Peter W A Wood wrote:
 > I believe that the statement “ it must not cause any non-FOSS
 > Microsoft software to become subject to the terms of any FOSS
 > license.” would specifically exclude the use of GPL licensed software
 > -
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011//08/open_source_windows_8_windows_store/>

The Register is normally a very good source for tech stuff, but the
author tips his hand as being a bit interpretive, first noting that
Microsoft themselves wrote:

    'FOSS' means any software licensed under an Open Source Initiative
    Approved License.”

..but then editorializing this assumption:

    The invitation does not extend to GPL.

    Microsoft’s agreement continues:

    “If your app includes FOSS, it must not cause any non-FOSS Microsoft
     software to become subject to the terms of any FOSS license.”
    Although Microsoft didn't name it, it's talking about GPL.

But is it?  GPL v2 and v3 are both on the OSI list of "approved"
licenses (whatever that means; OSI is a much younger org than FSF, and
while I appreciate their work and tend toward their politics more than
the FSF's, naming their list "Approved" complicates things
unnecessarily, and IMNSHO smacks of simple granstanding).

More to the point, if this author's interpretation is correct, and
everything Microsoft has been doing to further embrace open source in
the years since is somehow wrong, then applying that equally it means
that no one could distribute any GPL-governed software on any platform
but Linux.

That would be a rare view.  Rare enough that I've not seen anyone else
suggest it.

Then again, with open source growing as it is and the GPL licenses
comprising a majority of those, that would be one more reason for more
major orgs to switch to Linux. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems