Open Source Kickstarter Report Card

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Aug 17 19:33:19 EDT 2015

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 8:19 am, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>

> It would seem what they showed then was less advanced than what anyone here would need.  And since you know of a good library that's cross-platform with compatible licensing you're ahead of them.

Actually no. They are fully aware of PDFium and I believe they have at least played with a widget for it although I’m not sure how as the packaged library support isn’t yet implemented for widgets as far as I know.

> This implies that anyone using a proprietary license should be able to obtain this, and the other add-ons there, as a separate purchase.  But since no pricing is available for any of them in any currency other than "credits", the degree to which LiveCode Ltd. is interested in realizing the full revenue potential of these widgets is unknowable from the sparse info provided there.

The page states that a credit has a value of $99.

> Since most of the folks here have some form of proprietary license, the bigger question is: what do devs do when they want to develop open source works?

Actually we are jumping the gun here. It’s quite possible that they could release all the add ons you can buy with your credits as dual license but just not include them (extra credits) in the Indy license. Seems like a wise move to me as it means they won’t get someone like me coming along that needs extra features for my client building a whole new widget that undercuts their market share. Instead it would be more logical for me to add features to their widget. Either way I’m hoping that these credits can be applied to any item in the extensions store so it would be possible to target them by building business centric widgets...