How to minimize delay when playing an audio clip

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:52:10 EDT 2015

I have an audio clip that I'm using as a sound effect.  I try to trigger
the play start FIRST in my game loop, but no matter what methods I try
(even breaking it out of the game loop itself) there is a pretty hefty lag
time before it starts playing.  Enough so that its possible to have an
event happen, and stop the play of the clip before it ever starts.

I don't think i'm having issues with a bound cpu, I think 'play audioclip
"myclip" looping' is just that slow.  If I hold the key down, it works
fine, animation keeps up, and stop is pretty much instantaneous.  Is there
a way to get this working better?  I'll try with an actual player next, but
I thought having the clip as part of the stack would provide the best
results.

Also, a quick question..  I assume there is no way to modify the tone of a
clip on the fly?  IE: Simulate doppler shift..