mySQL: PHP or direct access?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 14 20:35:46 EDT 2015

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > BTW I’ve almost definitely oversimplified this. With the number of
 > platforms LC is deployed on I’d be surprised if there isn’t some
 > manual tweaking of project/make files required quite often with a
 > new version of a library. Then when you consider the number of
 > libraries LC depends on it could be resource consuming to ensure
 > all are at their most recent stable release for each LC release.

This may let my ignorance shine too brightly, but couldn't any such
integration work be automated?

Even if we just consider the security implications (think of everything
from the PNG buffer overruns of the olden days to the more recent
HeartBleed), it would seem that even if this is a non-trivial effort it
would be as important as any other refactoring effort.

Once set up, then even the less critical things like bug fixes and
performance enhancements just come along for the ride.

I wouldn't expect new features to be automatable of course, since that
would requiring writing glue for the LiveCode language (happy to let
that happen later in v8).

Am I being too optimistic here?

--
  Richard Gaskin