Business Application Framework

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 09:16:18 EDT 2015

As you read this, keep in mind I have no direct knowledge of the financial
standing of RunRev, so its all supposition. (Plus, i'm not a big brain like
most on the list, so ignore me if you wish)

Lets get this out of the way first:
Contributions here, and in the forums, as well as monetary contributions
during kickstarter while NOT being an engine contributor <> leaching.

Even just quietly using lc (community or otherwise) without posting here is
a contribution.   Everyone I know, who has even a passing interest in
programming knows about livecode now.  Some are rather sick of hearing
about it.

While I too fear a growing feature disparity between community and
commercial, there is truth when its stated.. "it's open source. if you want
it, add it."

Next:
Alas, appearance matters.  I can understand why people are freaking out.
Runrev has a pool of available man hours that can be used. A finite
resource.  And it appears that man hours that could have been used to
further the goals of the kickstarter have been used in an effort to
differentiate the 2 versions instead.  In this case, one should take a
deeper look.

Nobody doubts that expenses and time have gone WAY beyond what was
expected.  I would guess that the phrase "bleeding money" is a fairly
accurate description of the situation.  While its not exactly the same
business model, in manufacturing I've seen companies that are making a
product that costs more to make than they're getting in return, and these
same companies INCREASE production on these very items that are bleeding
them dry.  A loss leader can be great for marketing, but you MUST be able
to make enough profit from other areas to cover the costs.  This is what is
happening here.  Kevin and Runrev are looking for ways to offset the
tremendous cost of much needed retooling, and introducing new product
features to hopefully increase their income flow to offset the huge outgo.
Could they have shoved every possible resource towards the kickstarter
goals, ignoring all other needs?  Yep.  Would it have been a mistake?
Almost surely.