mySQL: PHP or direct access?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Aug 13 15:05:46 EDT 2015

Thanks for all the inout. I should probably have phrased my question a
little differently and asked about the pros and cons of a sever side
interface versus a direct connection rather than referencing php
specifically.  The php reference came about because of a recent post on its
use.

It appears that it comes down to a matter of good application design and
architecture more than anything else, assuming all the security issues are
addressed.

I'm probably still not understanding this completely, but how do I protect
against SQL injection attacks when using a server side interface? I can do
that very easily from within Livecode by using the parameterized variables
available with the revdbxxx calls but it seems like I would have to
implement my own version of that feature, perhaps by sending the statement
with placeholders as one message followed the values for the placeholders
in another.  I believe that's how it's done within the lc database library.

Or perhaps the structure of every individual SQL statement I need in the
application is known to the server side script and identified by an id of
some sort.  My application would then send the statement id and a list of
any required data values to the server side script instead of the SQL
statement, thus no SQL statement ever crosses the connection.

I don't think there's been an answer yet to Ralph's question about how all
this is affected by using SSL on the db connection.