LiveCode platform

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:29:37 EDT 2015

Today I had to go and have the oil and filter changed in my car, and as
I was waiting I decided to try and install
LiveCode 7.0.5 on their public access Windows XP box (which failed), and
I came across this:

http://www.livecode.com/

And that was interesting as I haven't looked at that page for about 6
months.

where it stated:

"Programming, Coding or as we like to call it Making Apps, it doesnt
have to be complicated.
With LiveCode making apps is fast and easy. Build your app with simple
easy to learn commands.
Drag and drop the most popular app widgets, and then launch your app to
all the popular platforms."

So: it isn't 'programming', and it isn't 'coding', it's "making apps" .
. . well that sorted that one out for me.

Anyway I was intrigued by "Drag and drop the most popular app widgets"
and wondered where I would find those widgets . . .

A little bit further down I found this:

"Hello World is the go to first app to make."

Which, as its grammar is totally wrong doesn't make any sense at all.

[Hey, goes with the lack of apostrophe in the earlier quote.]

It would be super if one didn't have to do any 'programming' or an 'coding'
and all one had to do was drag widgets onto a palette to end up with an app.

But I think this page is a bad case of wishful thinking, bad grammar and
a lot of other things that don't really represent LIveCode
correctly.

This is another case of what I stated earlier about "mucking things up"
. . . dumbing down to the point where, along with a "happy dance"
things begin to look a bit nonsensical.

LiveCode only uses drag-and-drop insofar as one can drop CONTROLS onto a
CARD; those controls, subsequently, need coding,
so I don't really see how they can be described as 'widgets'.

I clicked on a button called "Learn More" where I didn't:
http://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform/

Nothing about dragging and dropping widgets.

NOW: many of the children who came to my classes in June-July wished to
carry on with some stuff of their own during August,
and, unwittingly, I directed them to www.livecode.com, and they
complained that they did not understand anything.

Parents also said they couldn't quite understand why the website
described LiveCode as a glorified LEGO kit when it is not
that. Those parents who have a programming background, who had seen the
work their kids were doing, and been impressed
and "had a go" themselves said that they felt it was a really good
programming environment that they themselves would like
to work with: but that there was a discrepancy between that and how it
was presented on the website.

Richmond.