Describing LiveCode

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Aug 11 23:02:17 EDT 2015

On 08/11/2015 12:21 PM, Richmond wrote:
> On 11/08/15 21:46, Peter M. Brigham wrote:
>> May be conducting a parents' night in which you demonstrate something
>> simple with livecode to show its ease of access and manageable
>> learning curve, then rope the kids in to show off what they have done,
>> and finally summarize the advanced projects that people have used it
>> for. In my experience, mentioning that LC powers the Landsat 7
>> satellite data collection enterprise usually gets people to sit up and
>> open their eyes. Lots of similar applications mentioned on the LC
>> website.
>
> Right: with Wine and cheese.
>
> Smashing idea!

... and if it helps any, tell them that I have used LC in a commercial
application to interpolate between a database that doesn't understand
Windows ActiveX objects and Quickbooks, using the text and xml
processing capabilities of LiveCode to talk to a C++ shim that in turn
talks to the Quickbooks COM library.

database
   <--> text files
     <--> LiveCode
       <--> C++ shim
         <--> Quickbooks COM object
            <--> Quickbooks

It's not the weirdest thing I've put together, but it's close.

Could have done the whole thing in C++, but it would have taken five
times as long to develop and debug and not been nearly as readable nor
maintainable.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com