[YO EDINBURGH!] Microsoft Open-Sources It's Toolkit For Making iOS Apps Run On Win 10

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:23:46 EDT 2015

On 10/08/15 20:00, Roger Eller wrote:
> I wouldn't know.  Why?  Because I chose LiveCode (actually MetaCard)
> because my code could be written only once, and it worked the same on Mac,
> Win, and Irix at that time.  Sure there were always shell calls once in a
> while, but overall, the original designers of the language put in some real
> effort to make it that way, and I truly appreciate all the work that went
> into making it so seamless.

Indeed!

I got involved with LiveCode when I was working at the University of St.
Andrews
and needed to write a series of programs for Chinese, Japanese and
Korean students get their heads
around the 'joys' of English phonetics that would work, with Quicktime,
on both Windows and Macintosh 9 & 10.

I later developed a software package ("Listen Hear") for school kids to
learn about different types of music,
that could run on both Macs and Windows systems.

There didn't really seem anything else that could do that without a
near-vertical learning curve at the time.

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
>> wrote:
>> Roger Eller wrote:
>>
>> ...a term that is in the dictionary should work exactly the
>>> same across all supported platforms.
>>>
>> Is that how it works in Microsoft Visual Studio?

Wow! that made me laugh because right behind me, on the bed, there
reclines an incredibly attractive . . . book
entitled "Practical Visual Basic 6" by Reselman, Pruchniak, Peasley and
Smith, which I, in a fit of foolishness spent 22 pounds sterling
on when I was "studying" at the "University" of Abertay.

For some unknown reason, my cats seem to like the book and often sleep
on top of it - quite appropriate really.

I am very glad I studied Visual Basic 6. Not because Visual Basic 6 is
any good, frankly. Because every exercise Mrs Lobster (ok, ok, her real
name was Mrs Crab) gave us was a complete pain in the bum to put
together and get working in VB6, so at the end of every practical session
I would go home and do the same exercise in LiveCode (or Runtime
Revolution as it then was) in about 10% of the time, and much more
easily. Considering I had been using LiveCode for about 18 months at
that stage, and had never had any classes in it (well, admittedly,
Mrs Lobster was incompetent - I remembered things from my BASIC classes
from about 30 years before, when I was 13/14 - that she
kept getting wrong), it just served to show me what a "Clunk, Clunk,
Clunk" VB6 was.

AND, Visual Basic is a single-platform language (and it runs on my
least-favourite platform).

>> --
>>   Richard Gaskin

Richmond.