Choosing a database and LC tools

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Mon Aug 10 12:36:53 EDT 2015

Hi,

I want to add a content library module to a LiveCode-built project. It will
enable users to store, tag, sort and retrieve their content. I've read
various threads and articles about databases, but I have minimal database
experience and I want to get it right the first time. So I'd appreciate
answers to these questions and any other insights:

1) Is SQLite the best choice for local database file with a Livecode
interface? (Each database record will need to hold a few sentences of
Unicode text, 1 or 2 small arrays, the text contents of a few cprops, and a
field for tags the user can apply to categorize the various records.) I
doubt the number of records would ever exceed 10,000 with an average more
like 2,000.

2) The content of some records may have associated images or audio files. I
can store the paths to those, but paths break easily. How much does it bloat
or burden a database to store jpgs, pngs, wavs or aifs files in records?

3) I see there are a few 3rd-party tools for database work with Livecode.
(SQLyoga, SQLiteAdmin and SQLMagic). Are there others? Are these current
with LC7?

4) Are there contract developers in the LC community that specialize in
setting up databases with LC interfaces?

Thanks!
Tom B.