[YO EDINBURGH!] Microsoft Open-Sources It's Toolkit For Making iOS Apps Run On Win 10

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 10 11:45:36 EDT 2015

Roger Eller wrote:
> I have to say this, because I believe ti to be true.  LiveCode developers
> are part of the problem.  I think the majority of you have iOS devices
> because it is what you LIKE, not because it represents what the majority or
> even half of the population HAVE.  Inexpensive Android devices are getting
> better and better specs all the time, and lots of people buy them.  THEY
> should be our focus, not just our favorites.

I would agree that the whole process does seem rather Apple-centric at
times, but did you see the Release Notes for 7.1dp1?  The LC engine now
supports Android intents -- see the new mobileLaunchData function.

This is also a good example of how different OS APIs can make a LiveCode
feature complicated when the team attempts to make it the same on all
platforms:  iOS doesn't have intents, using Actions instead.  Android
intents are relatively simple to code for and work very similarly to url
schemes, so it's been pretty straightforward for the team to add that.
  They do indeed intend to also action Actions support for iOS, but like
so many Cocoa things it's not nearly as simple, and given the full range
of priorities on their plate won't be in v7.1.

Complete feature parity sounds simple, but once you dive into the
implementation details it's clear that OSes just don't often work the
same, requiring tough decisions about what gets delivered now and what
gets delivered later.

But at least those of us deploying to the 80% using Android finally have
a feature that isn't all about Apple.  And a very useful one at that.

And in the meantime, anyone in a position to add Actions support to the
engine sooner than the core team can is welcome to submit the pull request.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems