[OT-ish] naming a MeetUp group

Colin Holgate colinholgate at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 18:53:31 EDT 2015

I attend a programming user group that has gotten more and more quiet over the years. Sometimes nobody shows up! We’ve been wondering whether to change it to be a Meetup group instead, which has the advantages of knowing how many people will come, and some have a pre-pay $5 system, so if nobody shows up, at least the group covered the costs of the meeting.

My thought is to make the topic be broader than it is now, and different to other MeetUps that already exist. There are lots of programming and app development meetings, but they all tend to get a bit low level and geeky. Perhaps there would be interest in talking about higher level tools such as LiveCode?

In naming a group they encourage you to say where it is, and that it’s a Meetup. Best I can come up with so far is:

"NYC High Level Software Development Tools Meetup”

Bit wordy, but how else do you describe LiveCode and other tools that are a long way from Java and Objective-C?

I might make it be:

"NYC High Level Mobile Development Tools Meetup”

even if we might cover desktop and browser applications, just because “mobile” is more popular right now.

Any suggestions about the name would be great, thanks.