[OT] upgrading Linux to 64 bit

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Apr 28 04:06:54 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-28 07:52, Richmond wrote:
> I have been running an Ubuntu derivative 32 bit distro for some years
> now, and should
> like to upgrade to a 64 bit version.
>
> My hard drive is partitioned so that my /Home stuff is on a different
> partition to
> the Boot folder and so on.
>
> Can I "just" install a 64 bit version via the "something else" button,
> retaining my Home partition so
> that all my settings and so forth are preserved?

When I transitioned from x86 to x86-64 Linux -- a few years ago now! --
I just carried my /home partition across to the new install and
everything seemed to work absolutely fine.

Anyway, I assume you make regular backups, right? ;-)

Note that moving to 64-bit Linux is likely to be a big win in terms of
performance, because the x86-64 architecture has a lot more registers.
We saw a significant (>10%) speed-up in LiveCode x86-64 relative to
LiveCode x86.

Have fun!

                          Peter

--