Need Help With FTP

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 27 14:38:24 EDT 2015

Dr. Hawkins wrote:

 > On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Gregory Lypny wrote:
 >
 >> Thanks for the detailed handler! I’ll give it a whirl. Blocking is
 >> not really the problem for me; it’s the session timeouts or dropped
 >> connection when downloading many files in a loop
 >
 > Unless you're using windows look at the command line wget, whose -C
 > option will let you download continuing from where the file left
 > off.  You could access it with shell.

And if you are using Windows you can install Cygwin to avoid having to
deal with Microsoft-specific PowerShell and use industry standard shell
commands instead - it's free and open under GPL:
<https://www.cygwin.com/>

For transferring large numbers of files I prefer rsync because it uses
an uncommonly smart algo to avoid re-sending things that have already
been sent, and has an on-the-fly compression option for quick transport:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync#Algorithm>

I most commonly use the "-avz" options when transferring outside my
local network (just "-av" for local, since the compression isn't as
useful over Gb ethernet):

  rsync -avz ~/LocalFolder/  user at server:/RemoteFolder/

...where:

a = archive mode, which is recursive and maintains mod dates, etc.

v = verbose, so you see a list of what's sent; if you don't need that
     you can safely omit the "v"

z = on-the-fly gzip compression of file chunks for faster transport

Digital Ocean has a good introductory tutorial on rsync:
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-rsync-to-sync-local-and-remote-directories-on-a-vps>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems