Plain text library stacks

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Apr 24 04:06:13 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-23 20:41, Michael Doub wrote:
> Mark,   It appears that when you programmatically create a script only
> stack and save it.  The engine auto inserts the first line: script
> "stackname".    I see that when I look at the file with a text editor.
>   When I edit the script of the stack in livecode the script
> "stackname" line is missing.

Yes - that is correct. The best way to think about script only stacks is
that there are an alternative file format which can be used if you only
want to keep the stack script. It just so happens that (being text) the
file format works quite well for use in things such as git :)

> Will there be any problems if there are two script "stackname"
> statements in the text file.  This could occur if the user adds it
> when in the livecode editor.

Yes - you shouldn't do that :)

Script only stacks should be used and edited just as you would any other
stack - the only difference is that you can use them with VCS very
easily (of course, you *can* create and edit them with a text editor if
that is your want, but that isn't really what they are designed for).

> What is the recommended method for determining if a stack is a "script
> only" stack?

There is no direct way to detect whether a stack is script-only
currently beyond seeing if the first word of the on-disk file is
"script".

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps