fastes way to search an array?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 22 20:15:47 EDT 2015

  Alex Tweedly wrote:

 > On 22/04/2015 23:51, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> May not be much of a need, though, since traversing arrays with what
 >> we have is pretty fast - from my earlier email:
 >>
 >>    go url "http://fourthworld.net/lc/array_access_speeds.livecode"
 > When I try this with 6.7, I get the same results - SearchArray1 is
 > (fairly) consistently slower, at approx. 61 ms vs 57 ms.
 >
 > However, for 7.0, I get the opposite - SearchArray1 is (fairly)
 > consistently faster, at approx. 155 ms vs 161 ms.
 >
 > So as well as the overall slow down, we see a change from the
 > expected comparative speed.
 > I can't decide if that's interesting enough to report it to RunRev :-)

It may already have been reported under different symptoms, since my
testing here with the current version (7.0.4) has SearchArray2 about
15-30% faster than SearchArray1, with rare exceptions which may be
accountable by background system tasks.

In fact, given that SearchArray1 includes the extra overhead of
extracting the keys and creating a text list from them, if it were
faster I'd call it a bug.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems