fastes way to search an array?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Apr 22 19:57:27 EDT 2015

On 22/04/2015 23:51, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> May not be much of a need, though, since traversing arrays with what
> we have is pretty fast - from my earlier email:
>
>    go url "http://fourthworld.net/lc/array_access_speeds.livecode"

And the conclusion within that stack says ..
> The results here reflect what we might be able to guess from what
> we're asking the engine to do:  if run a sufficient number of times to
> account for variances caused by background processes the OS may be
> handling, in general we find SearchArray2 to be slightly faster than
> SearchArray1.
>
> This is anticipatable because SearchArray1 performs the additional
> step of asking the engine to retrieve all keys up front and copy them
> to a local list variable, while SearchArray2 iterates through the keys
> directly.
>
> This follows the general guidance:
>
> Know the engine
> Trust the engine
> Use the engine
When I try this with 6.7, I get the same results - SearchArray1 is
(fairly) consistently slower, at approx. 61 ms vs 57 ms.

However, for 7.0, I get the opposite - SearchArray1 is (fairly)
consistently faster, at approx. 155 ms vs 161 ms.

So as well as the overall slow down, we see a change from the expected
comparative speed.
I can't decide if that's interesting enough to report it to RunRev :-)

Alex.