curiosities in object reference

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:47:11 EDT 2015

On Apr 20, 2015, at 4:08 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> You need to force the type of fRef to be a string.
>
> LiveCode assumes a string that lukes like a long id is a reference to a
> control. It's duck-typing.
>
> This is useful in many circumstances.
>
> To get round it you don't need "do", but you need to assemble the reference
> as a string - and do mess around a bit.
>
> Try deleting the first word if fRef, then manipulating it, then adding the
> first word back?

Yes, I tried that. No go. It seems to depend entirely on the context of the command. If the engine sees something that can only be done to an object reference, it resolves the reference. If it doesn't, it treats it as an ordinary container with a text string content.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig