Large Scripts Run too Slowly

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 20 20:21:54 EDT 2015

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > On 4/20/2015 11:07 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> I made a drag-and-drop plugin for LC's gzip:
 >> <http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_gzipper.mc.gz>
 >
 > I've been using this a lot over the years, just because it's easier
 > than typing the command into the message box. But the copy I have
 > isn't drag and drop so I downloaded this one -- but it isn't either.
 > That'd be a nice touch.
 >
 > The scripts are locked so I couldn't look though.

The scripts have been unlocked for many years, ever since I first
released it as Public Domain back in 2002.

The drag-n-drop worked on Mac last time I used it there a few weeks ago,
but now that I'm spending more time on Linux I tested it in Ubuntu and
it didn't work.  Very old code, using very old syntax.

I just made a quick update to it and posted both compressed and
uncompressed copies, compatible with LC 5.5 and later:

<http://fourthworld.net/revnet/devolution/4W_gzipper.livecode.gz>

John Balgenorth wrote:

 > A really good feature to have would
 > be the ability to zip a folder of files
 > and folders and a volume of a hard
 > drive.

It's public domain, and there's not that much code there anyway - knock
yourself out. :)

I made it only because back in those days I was gzipping a lot of files
for manually posting to servers.  These days I tend to write publishing
scripts that do the zipping and then upload with rync, so I don't use
this much anymore.

But it's nice to see at least Jacque finds it helpful, and if anyone's
interested in using any part of that for a full-features
compression/decompression tool it'd be good to see it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems