Please recommend a text editor

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 08:47:20 EDT 2015

On 04/04/15 15:10, Simon Knight wrote:
> I've no objection to the built in script editor (except when it bangs
> out during debug) especially as I have just re-discovered that if I
> cut and paste from it I get coloured text.  However, I want to create
> a document that compares Livecode script with VBA code and if I do a
> cut and paste from the VBA editor I get plain text.  I now realise
> that I can put the VBA through textwrangler and into a Wp such as Bean
> with any Livecode being inserted with a straight cut and paste.
>
> Ah! Appleworks 6.  Now it comes from a time when Apple were hungry and
> software had to work whereas today it just has to look good - but
> please don't get me started.

Why do you think about 8 months ago I bought a second-hand G5 iMac when
I had the money for a new Intel iMac running Mac OS Y ("Black Hills of
Dakota")?

1. Running 10.4.11 the G5 can run Mac OS 9 - and as, a while ago, I
invested a lot of money in 3D graphics progs. for Mac OS 9 I'd far
rather run them than pay for their successors.

2. Running 10.5.8 with 2 GB RAM it does almost all I need for programming.

3. AppleWorks will be my favourite office suite forever unless somebody
produces an exact clone than runs on Linux. It may not
have a million bells and whistles, but it does offer all I need, and
when compared with LibreOffice, Open Office, Star Office, Think Free Office,
MS Office, KOffice, KingSoft Office (yes, I have tried ALL of them), it
still looks better than all of them to me - probabaly because it doesn't
suffer
from feature bloat.

See answers to my other posting entitled "Please release me, let me go."
and ask yourself why, although I really DID like Macintosh computers
and the Mac OS, I didn't like Steve Jobs and his heirs, and their
non-backwards-compatibility way of thinking.

Richmond.