searching for chars within a string

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 02:54:57 EDT 2014

A simple way would be just to use basic matchText() for each single
letter and regex matchText() for repeating letters.  P.*P will find
double Ps, P.*P.*P will find triple Ps etc. Seems to be relatively
fast but if you have very large data sets other alternatives would
need to be investigated.

in the message box:

put "ABCDEKLP" into X
put "ABCDEKLLLLMMOOPP" into Y
put 100000 into Z
put 0 into a
put 0 into b
put 0 into c
put 0 into d
put the millisec into tStart
repeat Z times
if (matchText(X, "A") AND matchText(X, "E") AND matchText(X, "L") AND
matchText(X, "P.*P")) then
   add 1 to a
else
  add 1 to b
end if
if (matchText(Y, "A") AND matchText(Y, "E") AND matchText(Y, "L") AND
matchText(Y, "P.*P")) then
  add 1 to c
else
 add 1 to d
end if
end repeat
put the millisec into tEnd
put "X Passed " & a & " times." & cr into msg
put "X Failed " & b & " times." & cr after msg
put "Y Passed " & c & " times." & cr after msg
put "Y Failed " & d & " times." & cr after msg
put Z & " repeats took " & tEnd - tStart & " ms" after msg

The above should take less than 1 sec but for a million repeats I got:

X Passed 0 times.
X Failed 1000000 times.
Y Passed 1000000 times.
Y Failed 0 times.
1000000 repeats took 1997 ms

NOTE: the above only works if the letters you are looking for can
appear in ANY order. If you need a specific order then you'd have to
regex matchText() for all searches, ie

if (matchText(X, "A.*E.*L.*P") AND matchText(X,"P.*P")) then

Yes, the P must appear in both searches to ensure a P has both an L
before it and a P after it.

HTH