Is there a problem with the On-Rev email server

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Sep 23 13:02:23 EDT 2014

On 9/23/2014, 2:10 AM, Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D wrote:
> I am not sure that just using an other ISP´s smtp system would avoid such a problem.
>
> It´s a general problem of all shared mail servers.
> Even if YOU are using that system for normal email communication, it is not granted that this problem will not happen.
> Why? Because as soon as one of the other users of that mail system uses the system  to send spams or even just bulk email
> to some of the big providers like gmail, aol or others, it could happen / it will happen that the smtp server gets a bad reputation.

I think you're right. The same thing happened on my shared server,
hosted on JaguarPC, and I think it can happen anywhere. Whether the
receiving server rejects the email depends on their spam settings, and
some will blacklist whole blocks of IP numbers. One of my accounts sent
an email with about 8 recipients, and five were rejected for "bad
reputation" even though the email itself was short and generic.

The big name ISPs get more clearance. If I send through Comcast it goes
though, and I'm told that all the large providers are accepted the same
way. That's why Gmail is probably a safe bet if you can accept the
scanning they do (you can turn off targeted ads in preferences though.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com