Download and Run Stacks - Can Do On Mobile?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 13 02:41:31 EDT 2014

Brahmanathswami wrote:

 > I remember being "blown away" years ago in the late 90's when Scott
 > Raney had a little demo of
 >
 > go stack url "http://somedomain.com/somestack.mc"
 >
 > and it downloaded and ran the stack.
 > But, can we do this on Mobile?  can the app on your iPhone download
 > and run stacks?  I think not... What about Android?  Probably not
 > also... security constraints....

For the last several months a majority of the projects I manage are
client-server apps that rely on downloaded stacks, so the server's not
just deploying data, but the code and UI too.  Tons of fun for all -
clients love seeing new features roll out without every having to
install anything new.

This type of distribution is technically sound on all platforms, and
allowed on all but one:  iOS' SDK license explicitly forbids apps that
download executable code.

Apple may change their mind in the future, but for now this is something
we can enjoy on all other devices on the planet, but we must make our
iOS customers wait for a larger, more complicated complete install.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems