NOT using a proxy with 6.7 on Windows...

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Sep 2 19:15:15 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Malte Brill <revolution at derbrill.de> wrote:

> what exactly would be needed to troubleshoot?

Malte,

I'm actually going to talk about this at the conference Thursday morning :-)

With any internet app I recommend adding lots of logging. I would add a
front script or library script with the following handler:

command ulLogIt pMsg
    LogNetworkActivity pMsg

    pass ulLogIt
end legit

libURL uses this command to log messages to the field specified with a call
to libURLSetLogField. If you handle it early enough in the message path
then you can log it as well. The LogNetworkActivity tries to log the
message to a file if you have set sNetworkActivityFile to a file path.

local sNetworkActivityFile

command LogNetworkActivity pStr
   if sNetworkActivityFile is not empty then
      local theError

      replace CRLF with CR in pStr
      open file theFile for append
      put the result into theError

      if theError is empty then
         write "[" & the internet date & "] " && pStr & cr to file theFile
      end if

      close file theFile
   end if

   return theError
end LogNetworkActivity

What I do is allow a user to turn logging on if they hold down the SHIFT
key while launching my application. I prompt them, they click "OK" and then
I write a log file to their desktop.

> As I do not own the machines this happens on and only can have limited
> access it will be a little tricky to get information. My suspition is that
> LC picks up the PROXY information from the registry (which did not work
> before my engine switch) and does this even if the HTTPProxy is set to
> empty by script...

LC does pick up proxy settings from the registry. If you edit the libURL
script and take a look at the libURLInitializeProxy then you can see the
new logic that was introduced.

edit script of btw "revliburl" of stack "rev library"

The first time libURL loads a URL it initializes the proxy server settings.
I imagine your users have automatic detection or a PAC file configured in
their settings. Old versions of LiveCode only picked up the HTTP Proxy
setting and didn't take into account PAC or auto detection.

I'm not sure what the best solution would be for your scenario. The first
thing is to find out what the proxy settings are. ulLogIt will log the
proxy settings that libURL settles on. If the user has auto detection
(WPAD) or a PAC file then perhaps they need to update their settings to not
use the proxy for local or 169 address. On OS X my settings look like this:

*.local, 169.254/16

As long as your LAN URLs are listed in the Bypass list then libURL should
not set the proxy server for those URLs.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps