Hmmm...

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:22:42 EDT 2014

On 31/10/14 22:03, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Anyone else stumble across this recent discussion looking for
> something akin to "The HyperCard Legacy"?
>
> <https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8538408>
>
> Nice to see some LiveCode comments there.

It seems to me that that discussion lacks focus.

Surely an question related to the "HyperCard legacy" (which is a fairly
daft phrase anyway)
should be asking something like this:

Did anyone recreate HyperCard and then improve it once HyperCard was
killed off?

And the answer is 'Yes' several times over: many being short-lived
things (SERF ???), and
many restricted to only 1 or 2 platforms (ToolBook, SuperCard), and one
managing about 6 platforms
at present (LiveCode).

All those comments about COBOL and AppleScript are, frankly beside the
point.

The way the discussion goes is rather like answering a question about
"The Great Ape legacy"
by talking about dolphins, pigs and lemmings rather than bonobos and humans.

Richmond.