OT: How to serve a 8GB download?

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Oct 31 11:53:13 EDT 2014

Probably too late to talk about how to package your data, which is likely the reason it is so big. I suspect it contains a lot of images or other kinds of media.

You might consider however, packaging your media separately from the application itself, then have the app on launch begin to sync the media from a web server. If that is impractical, then I would say a password protected zip file, where the password is the license key (if you have implemented one).

It used to be in ages gone by that zip files were broken up into smaller pieces because modem transport of large files was inherently unreliable. These days it’s rare that a download will fail due to the transport. I wouldn’t do multipart zips if you can help it, unless your target market is Botswana where they are still using 14.4 modems. ;-)

Bob S