Valentina db

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Oct 31 11:06:47 EDT 2014

Hi Larry.

The simplest SQL database to my mind is sqLite. You can create a database by simply providing a path name and opening it using the LC built in database functions. Once the file is created, you can download the Firefox SQLite Manager plugin, open the database and begin to add tables and columns.

There are tons of easy to read tutorials on the inter web on how to do select, insert and updates. The best source I think is sqlite.org itself at https://www.sqlite.org/lang.html.

sqLite is very forgiving when it comes to type constraints. This is because the data is literally stored as text no matter what type the column is. Where mySQL might throw an error for storing the wrong type of data, sqLite will store whatever you tell it to.

This is somewhat of a blessing, but also a curse. You really do want to know if your data is outside the parameters you’ve set. However, for those just starting out, it’s nice to not have to deal with SQL errors so much.

Bob S