Benchmarking 7.0 performance

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Thu Oct 30 08:39:50 EDT 2014

Thanks, Kay!

Rinaldi's plug in has "saved" me with the saving problem -- it
also seems a little slow on the saves, but does it in the
background with no visible impact/slowdown while using the stack
as it saves. Good enough for our needs.

I hear you on the merits of SQLite. But my main goal for this
project is to move an in house customer tracking system from
Hypercard over to LC, giving my office users as close to the same
experience they have on HC now, AND with as little time spent on
my part. We're too small to have an IT guy per se... so the IT
guy is me. I wouldn't bother moving the system, but we're running
out of OS9 compatible printers for invoices, receipts, mailing
labels, etc.  Our needs are very simple. Which is good, because
I'm a video production guy, not a programmer!

I have done quite a bit of experimenting with MySQL and have
"successfully" implemented a CRUD system that gets Japanese data
on and off the MySQL server. I like tinkering on this kind of
thing in my spare time. But I haven't been able to figure out how
to generate the right SQL query with a script, based on simple
form or picklist input. On the other hand, I made a simple search
interface very similar to Filemaker's (fill in what you want on a
search form that looks like an empty record) and was able to
script that to get just the right "mark card where..." in one
evening. And LC is fast enough that no matter how complicated a
search I throw at it -- 'Get me all customers in Tokyo or
Yokohama that have bought X and Y, and whose first order was last
year or this year' -- and present it as a datagrid or a subset of
cards all within 3 or 4 seconds. Plenty fast enough for my users.

I have some ideas of some things I'd like to try in the future
with SQL... but not anytime in the immediate future.

Thanks for your coaching on this!

Tim

P.S. REALLY enjoying the seamless unicode in v7!