Valentina db

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 04:33:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM, <larry at significantplanet.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Valentina database with LC?
>
> Yes, for many years now.

> If so, what is your experience with it?
>
> Love it. Especially if you need speed and simplified table relationships -
Binary Links are great.

> Is it a product that a newbie (me) could reasonably learn how to use with
> LC?
>
> Probably not at your stage.

I am a hobbyist. I was moderately competent with HC when I moved to
Revolution which is now LC. Because of LC db capabilities I then played
with MySQL and SQLite with some success, but again I was fluent with LC at
the time. In the search for more speed I went to Valentina. Having some
knowledge of SQL and pretty fluent with LC made the move to Valentina less
bumpy.

Noting your many bumps along the path of LC enlightenment I'm not sure
getting tangled with Valentina right now would be painless. I note frequent
posts on the Valentina Users List about people who get stuck installing
Valentina for LC. It's a simple 2 step process, but as most people's
experience with installers is that it does absolutely everything for them,
they regular seem to miss the need for the 2nd step.

I do recommend you download Valentina Studio, it's free - I'll explain
later.

http://www.valentina-db.com/en/all-downloads

> P.S. If you have a recommendation for a database that is REALLY easy to
> use with LC, please let me know.
>
> Whether you are just interested in trying out LC's database capabilities,
or have a real need to do something with a database, unless you definitely
need something fed from a web server you can't go wrong with SQLite. It's
already installed on your computer (it is for OS X and I'm pretty sure it
is the same for Win and Linux) so there is ZERO installation process to go
through. It's free and will always be free - unlike MySQL which has a
pretty convoluted licensing structure which most people can't understand
and so you'll often see a suggestion to 'contact MySQL, give them your case
and see what they say'.

You can download the free Valentina Studio which allows you to build, view
and test SQLite dbs. Makes it really easy with LC (or any other programming
environment) to test SQL statements outside of LC to determine is it the LC
code that is wrong or the SQL statement. There are also plenty of online
tutorials for SQLite so you can play with Valentina Studio + SQLite first,
make sure you've got the basics of dbs organised and working before taking
the next step and seeing if you can get LC to talk to the db you've created.

Unless you have very large data sets it is unlikely that you'll notice any
real speed difference. Yes, you might be able to prove that Valentina is a
couple of ms faster, but to the user it all happens within the blink of an
eye. Even then, if you do have huge data sets, you can do all your learning
and testing with SQLite, once you feel you know what you are doing, you can
download a trial version of Valentina, export all the data out of SQLite
and import it into a Valentina db, create your own 'realistic' benchmark
test and see the difference for yourself. You'll then know exactly what you
are getting for your money.

There are many LC + SQLite users on this List, and a couple of gurus, so if
you run into trouble help is not far away.

HTH