setting a behavior with out using an ID

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 23 20:58:27 EDT 2014

Thanks for the info, Monte:
 > Behaviors are saved as an id and a stack name and no matter how
 > you set them that's what the internal reference is. lcVCS handles
 > behaviors fine (and image ids etc) as long as the stackFile
 > import/export order is right. It also has a plugin system to
 > support libraries and custom controls that save object references
 > like DataGrid templates etc. What lcVCS can't ensure is that if you
 > hard code an id into a script everything will work because when
 > changes are merged ids can change if there are two new objects on
 > different branches with the same id.

If I understand this correctly, all of the following conditions need to
be true to prevent someone from using lcVCS for work involving behaviors:

- Multiple developers are working on the same stack
- They're both adding behavior buttons
- Their new behavior buttons have the same ID
- Any manual step like a simple copy-and-paste of one of the new
   behavior buttons into the main branch is considered undesirable.

That doesn't sound so bad.  Worse-case it takes less than a minute of
manual labor to resolve technically, much less time than would hopefully
be spent in code review to determine if the merge is desirable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems