RELEASE LiveCode 6.7

Benjamin Beaumont ben at runrev.com
Thu Oct 23 15:26:12 EDT 2014

Dear list members,

We're pleased to announce release of LiveCode 6.7. This is a stable release.

Important Changes

   1. We’ve update the platform component of the engine on Linux
   substantially. Think of it as the equivalent of the cocoa port for MacOS X.
   As a result, windowing related activities on Linux are subject to change.
   If you are testing on Linux we would encourage you to focus on windowing,
   window shapes, shortcuts, copy/paste and drag/drop.
   2. LiveCode 7.0 is now based on LiveCode 6.7. It includes cocoa, the
   webkit browser, the new AVFoundation player on Mac.
   3. The file format has changed for this release to accommodate Unicode.
   Old stacks will still work in 7.0, but stacks saved in 7.0 format will not
   open in previous versions of LiveCode. Therefore it is doubly critical to
   backup your stacks.

*Release contents*
Our release notes contain full details of all the changes made during this
cycle as well as details of all the bugs that were fixed. The can be found
here: http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/6_7_0/LiveCodeNotes-6_7_0.pdf

*LiveCode 7.0*
Many of you will notice that we've also released LiveCode 7.0 today. In an
ideal world we would have rolled these two releases into 1. However,
LiveCode 7.0 sees us release a near 2 year refactoring project which
contains same changes to engine behavior, particularly when reading and
writing data out of LiveCode or working with the char chunk type. Details
of these changes can be found in the release notes for LiveCode 7.0. In
summary, LiveCode 6.7 provides a new release of LiveCode that is fully
backward compatible allowing people to take advantage of the new features
like cocoa while providing time to move to 7.0.

*Yosemite*
During the release candidate phase we added support for Yosemite and will
be working on adding wider ranging support for that platform in the coming
week. Apple have tweaked how some of their pickers work which we'd like
make available to your applications. We plan to do this in the form of
6.7.1 and 7.0.1 releases in the coming two weeks.

As always, a big thank you to all those who tested and reported bugs during
this cycle. Your efforts are valued by all of us here in Edinburgh and
Glasgow!

Warm regards,

Ben