problem with counting words

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 10:24:07 EDT 2014

While we're waiting to see what comes of language extensions, here's a function that I use to simplify getting items from lists with various delimiters:

function getItem tList,tIndex,tDelim
   -- returns item # tIndex of tList, given itemdelimiter = tDelim
   -- could just "get item tIndex of tList" in the calling handler but
   --    then have to set and restore the itemDelimiter, so this is less hassle
   --    and doesn't risk your forgetting to reset it
   -- defaults to tDelim = comma

   if tDelim = empty then put comma into tDelim
   set the itemdelimiter to tDelim
   return item tIndex of tList
end getItem

If tList = "a/b/c*dd*e/f,g/h*i" and you wanted to extract the "dd" then you would call:
   put getItem(getItem(tList,3,"/"),2,"*")

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com