Programming LiveCode with LiveCode

larry at significantplanet.org larry at significantplanet.org
Wed Oct 15 06:25:55 EDT 2014

Hi John,
I'm on board with all of that!
Even though the LC community is relatively small, I agree 100% with you that
a lot of people would start writing shared code that would greatly improve
the LC IDE.  AND if LC did that, it would start attracting a lot more
programmers.
I am of the opinion that all of the platform/device specific approach to
software is going the way of the dinosaur.  I believe the future of software
will be browser based for several reasons.  Maybe I'm ignorant and maybe I'm
wrong, but that's what I believe.  What I would personally LOVE to see
happen with LC is true open source like you're talking about and then see LC
become a LEADER in writing software that works in any standard browser.  No
fuss, no muss.  Don't have to worry about OS or device.
I'm working with a guy right now who is taking my "clunky" LC Windows
prototype and rewriting it so that it will run in any browser.  He tells me
that he can code it so that the program automatically detects the screen
size of the device and automatically adjusts the program accordingly.  He
also says that the user will be able to use the program offline and then
synch automatically back to their personal data as soon as they get back
online.  In other words, the app is available both online and offline.
If LC developed the ability to do all that kind of stuff with all of LC's
other benefits, I would be extremely excited.

Since I don't know very much about the pecking order/politics whatever at
Rev, I hope you more experienced list people will push for your idea.
You have my vote!
Larry
P.S. As one example, I got a lot of kind help from this list in
understanding how to build and implement a library stack.  However, TO ME
(in my little brain) it still seems like a work-around.  How wonderful it
would be if I could just write and name a function (or import someone else's
function) and then use it right within any script just like I use lineoffset
or whatever AND also go to the LC dictionary and not only see the example(s)
the author wrote, but add my own notes and examples right into the
dictionary.  Well, we can dream can't we?