problem with counting words

larry at significantplanet.org larry at significantplanet.org
Sun Oct 12 14:17:21 EDT 2014

Hello,

I'm posting this to help any other poor saps who run into this insanity:

I want to count the words in a field.  I have:

set the itemDel to space

put the number of words of field "myTest" into field "myNumber"

Here is what happens:

I am testing the word count in LiveCode 6.1.1. Believe it or not, LiveCode will count all these words

as 23 words "because everything contained within the quotes is counted as ONE word!!!"

There is nothing that I could find that says LiveCode will treat everything within quotes as one word, even when I have itemDel set to space.

I doubt the RunRev people will see this as a bug, but "just how it is."  Well, it's really stupid - and beyond that, it is not documented in the Dictionary that I could see.

btw, I spoke to a programmer friend of mine (who used to work for Novell) and he said he'd never heard anything like that in the several programming languages he knows.

Yes, I do know how to do a work around to count all the actual words, but that is not the point.  The point is that I wasted over 2 hours of my time figuring out why my word count was inaccurate.

quite depressed,

Larry