Re: Strip a ™ character

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:28:33 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM, JB <sundown at pacifier.com> wrote:

> Who do you think is sniveling and exactly
> how fun is if for you to say “it burns. it burns!”?
>
> And who are you saying it to me because the
> code does not work or LiveCode?  Either way
> what makes it so fun for you?

No, not at all.  It's the C. Any C. Especially working in text with C.

"snivel" was the best word I could come up with for Gollum's voice/tone
from the Lord of the Rings movie (I think they were binding him with elven
rope, or some such.).

I've used, learned, and forgotten more languages that I can recall over the
years--including C and C++ a couple of times each, raw postscript, and
coding in LaTeX (from which the [probably mis-syntaxed] "\snivel" line is
drawn).

After having written a mailmerge in C++ (or maybe it was C; whatever LyX is
written in), my reaction to *any* text manipulation in C for the rest of my
life will probably be that of a vampire to a Crucifix . . .

C has some wonderful features.  I'd particularly like to be able to use
it's variable scoping in livecode.  (hmm, that may be all :).  I've been
personally told by Dennis Ritchie that Ken would agree with my complaint
that the names of mkdir and rmdir in Unix are bugs, as commands that
important should have two letter names.

But I truly hope to go the rest of my life without writing or even reading,
another line of C.

It burns.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.