Re: Strip a ™ character

JB sundown at pacifier.com
Thu Oct 2 10:43:47 EDT 2014

The code I presented was because I thought it would
be similar to what you already have.  It shows there is
not much code for that routine.  Strip out the lines that
are made for the user to enter the code to transfer and
show those questions on screen and the part that will
quit if the user does not enter a binary code and then
all of the required curly braces etc. and there is not that
much left to the code that was small in the beginning.

I knew pascal better than I know C.  I can read it and also
write it a little but I am not a pro or even close.  Objective-C
is the way to go and for me it has a better structure.  But it
uses some of the same formats as C.

If I was going to suggest code to replace the code that is being
used I would strongly suggest Grand Central Dispatch (GCD).
It can be accessed from foundation which Trevor said they have
put in LiveCode and the foundation library is accessible from the
Objective-C externals package he posted a link to.  It compiles
successfully without any problems using what is in the package
even on the newer Xcode but it won’t work properly due to it will
need to be compiled with Xcode 2.4.  That means once someone
gets their system in place to properly compile his examples things
like the NSFilemanager and GCD can easily be incorporated.

Concerning the problems with the binary to hex conversion not
working I tested it many different ways.  I placed returns before
the line and after the line.  I have stripped the returns and I have
placed each 8 character binary on a separate line and then I took
only the eight chars from each line so nothing would need to be
stripped and it would still put the unwanted characters in the Hex
that was returned.  All you do is take eight characters and then
enter two characters they represent.  You enter one line of code
and it works but if you enter more than one line it does not work.
Problems like that could have easily made customers say that it
is not a good program to use and that reduces sales and causes
financial problems.  A lot of my code was stolen and erased from
my hard drive and they would also change it causing me problems.
This actually happened and my business records were changed.

So I have been attacked at many levels for many years and when
I expose a serious problem with code in LiveCode and someone
taunts me or LiveCode I do not find it any more fun than someone
kicking me after others have attacked me from behind.  That is the
same attitude people gave me when they would steal my supplies
and tools from my electrical contracting business and intentionally
over charge me constantly.  I wrote a program to catch the over
charging but even that takes time out of your life and they know
what they are doing and they enjoyed it.  You learn to deal with it
or you break and they are not held accountable because they will
say it was a mistake.  Things are a lot worse than you are aware
of in the business world unless you are connected to this group.

John Balgenorth