LiveCode startup

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Oct 1 22:07:58 EDT 2014

Mike-

> Is there any documentation on the engine and it's architecture?

Now *there's* a glass half-full approach to things... However, in the
questions below I think you're talking about the IDE rather than the
engine.

> I would like to get confirmation about how I imagine it works.  I don't
> know C so reading the source code is not a big help so I would appreciate
> any incites.   Here is what I imagine could be going on.

> 1. When when you start Livecode, the engine runs, it initializes the
> internal data structures and opens some fixed name stack located in the
> same directory as the engine.  What is the name of that stack?

home.rev, but the preferences stacks are also loaded.

> 2. I am guessing that that all the standard messages are fired when this
> stack is loaded.

*All*? Not sure what you've got in mind. If you mean things like
openCard etc, then yes - the IDE's stacks are just like any other
stack.

>  Are there any special ones?   Is there a list with the exact order of
> these messages?

The plugins get some messages that aren't normally delivered to other
stacks. <list>... chortle.

> 3.  Within this first stack, it loads the other stacks of the IDE as front
> scripts.

Mmmm... no. There are some front and back scripts loaded into memory,
as well as some library stacks, and others are waiting in the wings as
substacks of other stacks.

> 4.  The IDE scripts hide any script starting with rev so we don't see them
> in the IDE.

In the View menu, select "LiveCode UI Elements in Lists"

> When you build a standalone of your app, the IDE builds a executable of the
> engine and your main stack but it renames your main stack to the name of
> that first stack in number 1 above so when you run the standalone your
> stack is the first to run.

I can only guess at the standalone builder myself, since I haven't
dived into that. I'll stay away from that question.

--
-Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware at gmail.com

This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National
Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not
consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any
related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting,
disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please delete it immediately.