Server boot time - font init

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Nov 29 13:49:31 EST 2014

stephen barncard wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> What is nohwcap, and why would the engine keep looking for it
>> over and over after it's already been told it isn't there?
>
> and could that be an element of the slow engine loading problem?

It'll probably help to clean up the engine init (and thankfully Peter B.
at RunRev noted in the forums that font init is already being
investigated), but both the numerous font init calls and the nohwcap
calls are present in bpth 6.7and 7.0.  So while it'll make things
faster, it isn't unique to v7.

On the other hand, we don't have the opportunity to test Dreamhost's
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS upgrade with a 32-bit LiveCode engine, so we can't rule
out that those calls may exacerbate something unique to Dreamhost's
configuration.

Either way, cleaning up init will give everyone a boost on all systems,
and if RunRev can also bring up internal engine operations to the
performance level of v6.7 (chunk expressions, arrays, file I/O, etc.) we
may well have the fastest version of LiveCode we've ever had, with CGIs
running better than ever before.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems