EU VAT changes & small software businesses

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Nov 27 09:25:21 EST 2014

So basically, every one of you EU software sellers is going to be fucked.

It seems that using the MOSS is only applicable if you yourself have a VAT identification number. Furthermore it seems to be opt in and not mandatory. Nontheless, it seems to me that you then will need to do the Vat stuff by hand, especially if you do not have a registered VAT identification number yourself, and can't use the MOSS. What is the benefit of using the MOSS? They don't tell.

The rules themselves are horribly vague and open to a ton of interpretation. In regards to software, an "automatic electronic service with no human interaction" does not apply, using an example of a price comparison service site. But selling antivirus software in an automated online shop is included in the examples where the new rule applies...  where is the human interaction in that?

The best parts are those that try to deal with moving sale-targets, or people who buy something trough a local wifi, then disconnect and go trough data roaming... Hilarious, if it weren't so sad, especially as a customer supplied "billing address" is NOT a valid proof of location!

Even worse are the rules about re-sale chains, which makes determining whose countries tax in the chain of resellers to apply from hard to impossible. This is such a top down heavy and unwieldy legislature, it's a wonder it hasn't been sued on the basis of being against human rights :-P

This Austrian Page is pretty interesting for trying to be readable, but instead is a prime example of legalese-obtuse:
<https://english.bmf.gv.at/taxation/moss.html#heading_FAQs_Mini_One_Stop_Shop_MOSS_>

There's also the "practical guide" Almanach-sized PDF from the EU (love the chart on page 61):
<http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/telecom/explanatory_notes_2015_en.pdf>

VAT rules per country, so you could do it by hand I guess:
<http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf>