Stack Menu Mystery - Disappointing Documentation (Long, sorry)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 25 15:09:07 EST 2014

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> And along with that we should probably have the Menu Builder
> automatically
> create File and Edit menus complete with the script commands that make
> them work. For instance Save will save the current stack, Copy will
> copy
> whatever is currently selected, etc. We can code it now, but with many
> different stacks/forms that do different things, having to code each
> menu,
> or create a global menuPick handler for *some* menu commands as I now
> do
> seems sketchy.

Maybe.  It's a tough call with a toolkit as flexible as LiveCode, since
it's used for such a wide range of different types of apps, each of
which may have any variety of data storage methods, undoable actions the
engine can't know about, etc.

There's definitely a lot of room for improvement in terms of general
guidance, such as generalized engine-level support for multi-step Undo.
But Undo is a good example of the challenge, since it involves so many
different data types and actions that at best such a framework could
only provide a shelf onto which we'd still need to put boxes of our own
code to become a useful thing.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems