LC Script in PHP File

Peter W A Wood peterwawood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 17:00:15 EST 2014

Richard

As Simon mentioned, “calling” a LiveCode function by running a cgi script will be slower than a simple function call. Running a very simple LiveCode cgi script takes a few hundred milliseconds. A function call will take a few milliseconds.

On my machine, which has a solid-state drive, I ran two simple test scripts:

	The PHP script took 76 milliseconds
	The PHP script which “calls" LiveCode took 261 milliseconds

I have PHP installed as an Apache module so running a PHP script will always be faster than running a LiveCode script. The performance of LiveCode and PHP would be the same if either PHP was being run in the same fashion as LiveCode (i.e. using CGI) or there was a LiveCode Apache Module.

I suspect this makes little difference to shared hosting user as I understand that many shared hosts do not run PHP as an Apache module. It will make a difference to people running on dedicated servers (virtual or physical).

Also LiveCode server users are also disadvantaged compared with PHP users as there is no FastCGI version of LiveCode that can be run in connection with nginx.

Regards

Peeter