Whats the proper way to show a help field?

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 19:28:17 EST 2014

dunbarx wrote
> [snip]
> A field that tracks the mouseLoc is really much nicer,
> since many "mouseMove" messages are sent in a
> short time while the cursor is on the march.
> Can you do that?
> make it appear and disappear,
> and track?
> The toolTip handles that automatically,
> but is not as smooth at all.

Could this work?

Here is a very simple method:

1- Create a small field named "cursorpos"
2- Create an opaque rectangle graphic
and put this script in the graphic:

on mousemove x,y
   set the layer of fld cursorpos to the layer of me + 1
   put x,y into fld cursorpos
   set the topleft of fld cursorpos to x+20,y
end mousemove

on mouseleave
   hide fld cursorpos
end mouseleave

on mouseenter
   show fld cursorpos
end mouseenter

Use contrasting colors for the background
of the graphic and the small field.

Al