LC Server on DreamHost?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 18 00:14:55 EST 2014

Scott Rossi wrote:
 > I’ve never used a terminal with the server ― not sure how to do that.

Log into yourDH control panel and under "Accounts" make sure your
account has shell access ("SSH") turned on.

IMNSHO no web hosting account without shell access is worth the trouble
of trying to use, because sooner or later direct access to the machine
will be useful if not necessary for diagnosing issues.

Once you have that set up, time to take your first foray into serious
Linux geekdom:

   ssh <username>@<machine>

e.g.:

   ssh myaccountname at somedomain.com

You'll be prompted for your password (this time - down the road you'll
get tired of my annoying reminders to set up shared keys so you won't
need a password any more, but we'll leave that for later), and after
your password is accepted it's like you're at the machine, able to run
any shell commands you like.

When you first log in you'll be in your account's home folder, much like
on your Mac.  Within that folder you'll see your domain's web root - on
DH this is usually the domain name.

To change directories use cd:

cd somedomain.com/cgi-bin

 From there you can use chmod, or run the server executable using the
example I gave before.

WARNING: Extended use of bash may lead to addiction.  Warning signs
include logging into servers without any actual reason just because you
can, experimenting with every option to rsync, and being able to make a
tar backup of your site without having to consult man.  If you begin to
experience any of these symptoms, contact your local Linux user group
immediately.

:)

--
  Richard Gaskin