how are variables passed from functions?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:01:50 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 2:44 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>
wrote:

That's what I get for being a one-trick pony. But it sure seems that having
> to keep track of the last result would cause a lot of non-obvious errors.
>
> Bernard mentioned it might be long-standing behavior that shouldn't be
> changed, but since no one has really noticed it until now it's hard to tell
> whether it's a newly introduced bug or an established behavior.

The Dictionary entry for return - the control structure, if read prior to
this thread may be a little vague on what's going on here, but having read
this thread it is clear that ti's been this way since day 1.

To me it's like keeping track of 'it'. If you don't immediately put it into
a variable or something then it's sure to change to something else. The way
I read the Dictionary a return should be at the end of every function that
will return a value and "(If you want a handler to compute a value as its
main reason for existence, you should implement it as a custom function
rather than a custom command.)"